Search 2.0

Monday, August 23, 2010

Moussaka Eggplant Dish



Moussaka is one of my favorite Greek dishes, it is made with eggplant. I saw these beautiful eggplants at the
Mountain Meadow Farm and Craft Shop calling my name. Of course Moussaka was the second word that popped into my mind. It a very rich tasting lasagna like food. It is time consuming to make, but well worth the effort.
Ingredients:

eggplants 2
olive oil 
salt with salt shaker
spaghetti sauce 1 jar 16 oz
 1 package Italian sausage fried and drained of grease 
1 lb ball mozzarella cheese


The first thing I have to explain is that the eggplant needs to by sliced at 1/4 inch slices, and salted. This will cause the eggplant to sweat. Place in large bowl with water, push eggplant slices to the bottom, this will release any bitterness the eggplant may have, you will notice the water will change to a dark color.
Using a heavy bottomed pan, fry the slices in very little olive oil.(eggplant soaks up oil in a hurry)just enough so the eggplant won't stick.
The eggplant should look like dry leather, when done. This is the part that takes time. Be patient it will make the difference.
Stack fried eggplant into a small baking dish.
Spread spaghetti sauce teaspoon at a time on top of eggplant. Spread grated mozzarella cheese.
Top with Italian sausage, and repeat layers till it reaches the top. Top off with cheese. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 45minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this recipe. I have a recipe with similiar ingredients and i love it...ill share that one with you if you'd like. Its not a lasagna but it is an eggplant recipe...i think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggplant my husband made it its was delicious I will see if I can make it.

    ReplyDelete