Search 2.0

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mexican Style Sweet Roll Pan Dulce

There's nothing quit as satisfying as dunking pan dulce in a glass of milk. The first time I enjoyed one of these jewels I was a child living with my abuelita Rufa in Mexico, I remember the bread man coming to the house just about every morning with a huge large 4 foot basket on top of his head selling all the Mexican pastries.  There were a couple of things that caught my attention, I wondered  how does he carry that basket on his head, and where did he learn to bake so good, I was delighted to receive the recipe so now I can make my own pan dulce at home anytime I desire.

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoon yeast
2 eggs beaten
4 to 41/2 cups of flour

Cinnamon Topping
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 stick butter
4 egg yolks from size large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In medium sauce pan place milk, sugar, shortening, and salt to warm up, the shortening will almost start to melt. about 115 degrees or you can stick your finger in it it should be slightly warm.
Remove milk mixture from the stove add yeast and stir till well blended. Add 2 eggs to a small bowl slightly beaten.
Place a bit of the warm milk mixture to the bowl containing the beaten eggs to warm the egg mixture so not to cook the eggs. Then pour all of the egg mixture into the warm milk mixture.

Starting with 4 cups of flour, placed in a mixing bowl with dough hook attachment.( Saving the 1/2 cup for use if needed). Pour egg milk mixture into flour.


Mix till dough comes together and starts climbing up the hook, about 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth, moderately stiff, and elastic.
Place dough in a greased large bowl. to rise. Take the edges of the dough and insert them in the middle, as shown in the photo. Turn over once  to grease other side of dough. This procedure helps the dough rise evenly.
Cover bowl to rise the dough.
I like to cover my bowl with clear plastic wrap I find it works better, than a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. It should take about 2 hours.
Punch down the dough, divide into 16 portions, shape into ball, and place on greased baking sheet. Pat down with your fingers to the size of 3 1/2 inches, about 1 inch apart. Cover the dough to rise again, in the mean time make cinnamon topping.( I spray the back of the clear wrap with Pam and cover the dough. I find if I spray the wrap won't stick to the dough when I remove it.)
0


To make cinnamon topping, place in a bowl, 1 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoon cinnamon, half cup butter, 4 beaten egg yolks, half teaspoon vanilla. Mix well with a fork. Divide into 16 portions, place topping on lightly floured surface roll out into 3 1/2 inch circles, use a  spatula to help you place cinnamon topping on top of pan dulce.
With the back of a spoon make design on the cinnamon topper. Cover again allow to rise till the dough doubles in size.
Bake in preheated oven, 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes till lightly golden. Eat within 3 days, because they are perishable, due to using fresh ingredients without preservatives. Enjooy

No comments:

Post a Comment