Search 2.0

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sauerkraut Homemade In Canning Jars

This year is the first year we had a bumper crop of cabbage. Since I can't picture myself, and my husband eating stir fry for the next few months I decided to try to make sauerkraut. My husband has fond memories of his mom putting up homemade sauerkraut.
This is the easy way, of doing it.

Ingredients,
raw cabbage sliced very thin
canning jars with lids and rings
 canning salt
water

Slice cabbage very thin, place in large bowl. Fill jars with water half way, add 1 tablespoon of salt to each jar. Begin filling jars with cabbage to top, make sure salt water covers cabbage. Place lids on jars do not tighten real tight. The cabbage starts to ferment with in a few days, which will cause the water to bubble out of the top of the lids. Place jars of cabbage on a plate to catch over flow from each day.
Every morning open lids of jars, with a spoon push down the cabbage. You don't want it to turn dark. It will turn dark if it's exposed to the air.
The sauerkraut will be ready in 10 days. Process in water bath for 30 minutes to preserve. Make sure you use a new lid, wipe top of lid also. My sister-in-law Maggie uses her sauerkraut in pizza, but I prefer mind in Ruben sandwiches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment